It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Ouch!

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm   
Leyland GTM Club

So last night I'm playing in the garage making a jig for a Mini front subframe. Welding and cutting metal as you can imagine has a fair number of hazards. It was cold so the woodburner was going (and I was down to a t-shirt coz it get's nice and cozy in there nowadays) - another set of possible hazards.

So what did I burn myself on?

No you probably didn't guess right - it was the blade of the hacksaw that I'd just used to cut through a 4x4 lump of wood to throw into the burner. Blisters and everything - not a happy bunny.

MUST get a proper woodsaw in there!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:15 pm   
Leyland GTM Club

Pictures or it never happened lol.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 am   
Shouldn't be old enough to be Matt's dad!

Dingle wrote:
Pictures or it never happened lol.

yep we need pictures, although I would have thought Ding would have seen worse than blisters in his time as a Fire Officer :afire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:49 am   
Leyland GTM Club

Trust me - it happened. I can't see it having gone away by Monday so you can see it for yourselves then. The mark isn't big but the definition is beautiful - although starting to blur a bit at the edges (you could see the teeth and everything yesterday). Biggest problem is that it's right where the cuff of a jumper or jacket sits and they constantly rub and irritate it - I'd probably hardly notice it in short sleeves but it's not exactly t-shirt season.

Iain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:54 pm   
Leyland GTM Club

Nothing worse lol. I'm supprised you havnt got a proper wood saw. Or even better a mechanical device to save the old muscles!!!

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:29 pm   
Leyland GTM Club

I do have wood saws - just didn't have one in my bit of the workshop and didn't have the keys to the wood-shop on me so was using a hacksaw to save time. I've now been into the woodshop and stolen a wood saw. Similarly there's a table saw, a radial arm saw and a bandsaw in the woodshop - but it's far easier to carry three or four big lumps of wood into my workshop and cut them up in there than it is to carry 9 or 10 smaller blocks. Besides - if you cut it by hand each bit of wood makes you warm twice.

The top layer of skin came off yesterday and it's been all slimy underneath. I had a plaster over it in the workshop yesterday to keep crud out and I've succeeded in taking most of the hairs off around the burn - I've got a bald patch now :shock: Well bald-ish. I'm seriously debating shaving the surrounding area first if I need to put another plaster on.

It had scabbed over but that came off in the shower this morning so the new scab that's formed now has bits of fluff from my coat that it picked up whilst I was driving to work. Hopefully it'll be dry enough by the time I'm going home to avoid getting any more of my coat embedded in it then and since the office is relatively warm I'm just in my polo-shirt until then.

The nurse here at work reckons I should go to the treatment room at my GP's. :roll: Goodness knows what she'd suggest if I'd done anything worse to myself - I'd probably be sent away in an ambulance.

Iain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:39 pm   
Leyland GTM Club

I don't know what is more disturbing, the graphic details of your weeping wound or the fact I'm trying my hardest not to picture your scab falling while your naked in the shower.

Bad brooksy!!!!

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:31 pm   
Leyland GTM Club

Well here we are a month on and I've still got a mark. Keeps putting me in mind of cattle being branded to permanently mark them.

MOOOOOO!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:34 am   

You find that with age....healing is a long process. I think its connected to the memory so you wont do it again!

;)